What is Gift Aid?
Gift Aid is a tax relief available to UK registered charities. It enables us to claim the tax back for charities, adding an additional 25% to every eligible donation.
Is my donation eligible for Gift Aid?
According to HMRC rules, certain donations are not eligible for Gift Aid. If your donation falls into any of the following categories, Gift Aid shouldn't be claimed:
- Donations made by anyone that is not a UK taxpayer
- Donations made on behalf of someone else or a group of people - For example, a friend gives you £10 and you donate this to your fundraising page using your card and details. Even if the friend is a UK taxpayer, the donation is not eligible. HMRC needs to know the details of the person contributing the funds.
- Donations made in return for something - For example, you are making a donation in return for a ticket to attend an event, or a raffle ticket.
- Donations made on behalf of a company - you can only make Gift Aid declarations on your own taxpayer status when spending your own money. However, the company can claim tax relief on the donation when donating directly to the charity. Find out more about this.
- Donations to a family member who's doing an event where the charity is contributing to the cost - For example, you're donating to a close family member that is doing a trek overseas and the charity is paying for the cost of their trip.
- Donations to a charity that isn't registered for Gift Aid - If a charity hasn't provided us with the Gift Aid number they have been given by HMRC, we're not able to act as their Gift Aid agent.
How do I add Gift Aid to a text donation?
When you make a text donation, we'll send you a confirmation message with a link to claim Gift Aid. If you have a smartphone, you can simply click on this link to add Gift Aid. Alternatively, you can use your computer to visit the link by copying the address into the web address bar of your browser.
Once you've opened the link, follow these steps:
Tick the box I confirm the above information is correct
Fill in Your details
Personalise your donation (optional)
Set your contact preferences
Click Add Gift Aid
If you've made a donation within the past 24 hours and Gift Aid hasn't been added, please drop us an email or give us a call on 0345 078 2063 and we'll add it for you.